Sunday, May 17, 2009

Carry it Forward: Compassionate Imagining

In class, we have been learning about compassionate imagining and how it relates to Life and Times of Michael K by JM Coetzee. At first, I was skeptical of this concept. This may be because I was caught up in the clearly false claim that imagining is impossible without compassion and vice versa (I can imagine I can fly; does that mean I automatically empathize with the situation of birds? I don't think so). However, semantics aside, it's a very powerful concept. It's a new take on the old cliche about walking a mile in someone's shoes. Compassionate imagining really makes sense because you can't really try to understand someone and their actions unless you put yourself in their place and consider how that person is feeling.

I will definitely utilize the technique of compassionate imagining in the future. It seems corny, but before I judge someone, I'll stop and do some compassionate imagining first. That way, I won't pass judgement on anyone unfairly, or without knowing what's going on with them. This will definitely make me a better person, and help my relationships with others.

No comments: