Sunday, April 26, 2009

Metacognition: Jane Eyre Project

When I first found out about the assignment to culminate our reading of Jane Eyre, I knew that it would be very different from the one for Heart of Darkness. In most ways, it was a lot better. The project did present a unique set of difficulties, though. First, my group (Corey, Nick, and me) had to find an effective, efficient way to collaborate. We thought about making a Google doc and then each person editing it on his own. We eventually decided against it, though, because it would be hard to create a dialogue with any flow or rythm if we each did our part separately. Instead, we decided to meet at my house a couple times and work together, face to face. This turned out to be an even better choice than we anticipated, because when one person had an idea, someone else thought of a way to make it better, and we kept building off each other's suggestions. It was also a lot easier to make it like a real conversation when we weren't working on it by ourselves. What's more, though we had fun, we were also focused on finishing the project and it probably took a lot less time than if we hadn't worked on it together. All in all, I think our project turned out great (dare I say A-worthy?), and I'm proud of how our group collaborated. Hopefully, we can do more of these types of projects in the future.

No comments: