Saturday, February 28, 2009

Blogging Around

Duece's blog dealt with Neo's choice between the blue pill (not finding out about the matrix and going back to his previous life) and the red pill (proceeding to be unplugged from, and learn about, the matrix). He also discussed the nature of memory, and the difference, or lack thereof, between "real" and "fake" memories.

Deuce,

I thought your perspective was interesting. In The Matrix, it is more or less taken for granted that Neo made the right choice by taking the red pill. In fact, the only character that expresses even an inkling of doubt or regret about not taking the blue pill is Cypher, the bad guy. You disagree with the movie's point of view, saying (more eloquently and less cliche-y) that ignorance is bliss. You also discussed the significance of our memories and how we could possibly know if there is such thing as "real" memories, and, if there is, whether or not they are necessarily superior to "fake" memories. I agree that just because a memory is real doesn't make it better than a "fake" one, though I'm not sure that I agree with your hypothetical pill selection. Your post was intelligent and interesting, and it really made me think about myself and how much I would want to find out about reality if I were given the chance.

Brandon


Jamie's blog was about the discussions we had in English two weeks ago. She talked about the value of these discussions and how good the collaboration was.

Jamie,

I agree with your opinion of our discussions in English. The most meaningful class discussions are always ones where input is spontaneous and where people build on each other's comments. Some of the discussions we have had in other classes have been so structured that they stifle creativity and valuable comments. Regularly, I can go a whole discussion with out saying a word, for the simple reason that I haven't thought of anything important enough to contribute. On the occasions that I do think of something good, I'll say it. However, when my grade depends on how often I contribute to a particular discussion, rather than the value of my contributions, I tend to say whatever comes to mind, intelligent or not. I do realize, however, the need for making sure everyone is engaged in the conversation, so I can see where teachers are coming from when they mark down participation points. I liked how you also talked about the future benefits of discussions like the ones we had in English about the short stories. I agree that these skills will be important later in life, so it's good that we can hone them now while we're still in school.

Brandon

No comments: