Saturday, December 13, 2008

Blogging Around

Jamie's blog was about the process of revising her poem, which is also what my latest blog was about. Reading it, I discovered that she had a slightly different view of revising than I did. She said how valuable the revisions were for her and explained her thought process while revising.

"I agree that you sometimes have to be willing to let go of your original poem to make it better. For this poem, I think I didn't do a very good job of that and that is why my revisions aren't the greatest. For my next revision, I will have to try harder to take risks and sometimes even get rid of things that I think are good to make room for things that are great. I'm sure that these skills come with practice, so the fact that you had a lot of practice with excessive revising in junior high has probably helped you be a good reviser in high school. Hopefully, I will get to the point where I am willing to take risks and make drastic changes to improve my poem soon."


Emily's blog made a connection between King Lear and something she's very passionate about (the Bible). She talked about the similarities between King Lear and the story of the Lost Son. Though I hadn't read this story, I thought it was an interesting and valid connection.

"I liked your connection with the bible. I can see the many similarities between King Lear and the lost son story. I think a big difference that's important to note is whose fault the situation is. In King Lear, Cordelia, while she is being very stupid and short-sighted, is not really doing anything wrong. Rather, Lear is being childish and unreasonable. In the Lost Son, it is the other way around. I think the important similarity, though, and probably the main reason that this is a good connection is that both families reconcile and are reunited at the end of the story."

No comments: